Tuesday, May 18, 2010

How do you not get offended?

Lately, there have been quite a few people that have asked me what is up with my son's posts on Facebook.  They've been somewhat emotional and depressing.  So, I get the people telling me the following:  tell him to grow a pair, be a man, stop being a wuss, put his purse down, stop being such a girl, does he want some cheese with his wine....you get the picture.

First, let me explain that he is 18 and has recently endured a breakup. Now, we all know at 18 we have found "the one" and are devastated by a breakup. It's the end of the world and nothing you can say or do matters. Remember those days? I certainly do, which is why I can totally relate to him and none of his posts bother me.  So, why should it bother others? If you don't like it, don't read it, right? Well, that's my opinion, I guess.

I also attribute his emotions to being raised solely by a woman and being around nothing but women growing up.  I was a single mother when he was 8 and his father was absent for the first few years after our divorce.  That combined with the fact that all my girlfriends gave birth to girls (all around the same age as my son) and that's who he grew up with. My friends tease him saying that the outside world sees him as a major "player" because he's constantly surrounded by girls and he has never seen it because he considers them his cousins. They all call him when they have a problem with a boy.  He's been exposed to lots of progesterone! :)  I can honestly say that he's a very sensitive male.  He's in tune to what women want and/or need.  Is there something wrong with that? He's also the biggest worry wart you will ever meet. I have to constantly remind him that things should never get serious enough to risk your own health (he's had episodes where he worries so much that he makes himself sick).

Another thing...some of his posts have to deal with his current dilemma on college choices, whether to stay at home or go away to college.  Major life changing decisions.  So, where they may seem like he's being overly sensitive, he's actually just stating the obvious....that he needs to take things seriously right now and make a decision for his future.  Of course, no one knows what he's talking about, unless they ask.  Which, they have not.

So, I ask you, my readers....should I be offended when people say, tell your son to grown a pair? My take on the issue is....if you don't like what he's saying, then don't read it. Am I being too sensitive about the whole issue myself?



0 comments:

Post a Comment