Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Telenovelas

Since I was a teen, I remember my mom running to her room around 7ish to watch her telenovela. For those of you who don't know what a telenovela is, it's the Latin version of the soap opera with a couple of exceptions.  The plot is always the same and they only last a few months.

The telenovela has been around since the 50's, but became popular here in the US in the late 70's.  Whatever the reason is that made my mom start watching them, I am grateful that is is part of our culture and our traditions. I am a huge novela fan.  I know it's corny, because from the very first episode, you already know what's going to happen, who's going to wind up with each other, who will die and who will live. I love the fact that they are so predictable so I can just enjoy the characters and the actual show instead of stressing myself out about what will happen.

I also love the fact that during my adolescent years, it helped me spend time with and bond with my mom. It would also help me with my Spanish. This fact still remains.  We will call each other during the week to see if the other has seen what has been going on. Unfortunately, at this moment, we aren't watching the same one :( The one I'm watching now is called "Mi Pecado", "My Sin" for you non Spanish speakers. ;-)

Another reason I watch them as an adult is to continue to help me with my Spanish and now my hubby watches them with me to help him with his Spanish. Or so he says...I personally think it's because of the hot chicks on there! hahaha  Either way, it helps us spend a little more time with each other and his Spanish has gotten better with the help of them and his little Spanish lessons he does on a daily basis.

I am trying to continue the tradition, but my son wants nothing to do with them. He thinks they are corny and dumb. He's also 18 and only interested in games.  I'm hoping now to pass it on to my daughter one day. She lives with her mom during the week, so it's kind of hard, but when she gets older (she's only 9 now) then I'll DVR them and try to get her interested. If it works, then great. If not, then I guess we'll move on to something else. Secretly, I'm hoping she LOVES it! I need someone to watch novelas with when I'm old and gray!

0 comments:

Post a Comment